Monday, May 2, 2011

Obama Bags Osama

US Special Forces report having successfully captured and killed Osama bin Laden Sunday night. I give props to the President also for his open discussion even during the campaign of the importance of focusing on Pakistan.

Bin Laden's body was buried at sea, so I'll admit chalking this up provisionally, assuming he doesn't resurface in the near future to deny it personally.

NYT on what this means for the administration.
BBC gives more details on the operation itself.
HuffPo notes that "the al Qaeda leader’s killing falls exactly eight years to the day when Bush famously declared “Mission Accomplished” in Iraq."
Picture courtesy FoxNews.

Among my minor worries on hearing the news was that Republican leaders would congratulate solely the military and themselves, or use the opportunity to snark against the President (we got it done despite you). Instead, I get to find this:

Boehner: "I also want to commend President Obama and his team, as well as President Bush, for all of their efforts to bring Osama bin Laden to justice."

I will give extra credit to presidential candidates who praise the sitting president:

Romney: "Congratulations to our intelligence community, our military and the president."

Pawlenty: "I want to congratulate America's armed forces and President Obama for a job well done."

and Chris Christie is probably close enough: ""I want to commend President Obama's Administration for its commitment and dedication to finally bringing Osama bin Laden to justice." 

No comments:

Post a Comment