Monday, November 1, 2010

Halloween for Developmentalists

For Halloween, I tried out the first of Texas in Africa's suggestions of costumes for development types:
One Million Shirts - Oh, like you didn't see this one coming a mile away. This is easy for those of you who have lots of t-shirts left over from college clogging up your dresser drawers, but it's also handy if you're on a remote posting in a place that has a market full of cast-off t-shirts. 
I fit on 22 t-shirts just layered one on top of the other. No one knew who I was even after reading the sign I taped to myself too. Those who stood around for the explanation appreciated the humor (a sample selection bias if ever I heard one). I would've easily won the most esoteric costume award had one been given. I console myself that I was able to educate a small handful of people in how to give better aid.

My recommendation for anyone attempting the costume at a belated party or another year (hey, esoteric AND outdated!) is to fold up the shirts a little at the waist so you can display the many layers cascading down.

No comments:

Post a Comment